Higher Education
Student Visas
Language Tests
Language Schools
Student Visas

If you are in Berlin already, applications for student visas are dealt with by the:

Office of Alien Affairs (Ausländerbehörde)
Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin - Tiergarten | Tel: 9 01 58-0, Fax: 9 01 58-4 62 | U9 Westhafen |

If you are outside Germany and want to apply for a student visa, you should submit the following forms to the German Embassy . If you are from Honduras, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Switzerland, or the United States, you can change a tourist visa into a student visa (or another type of visa) from Germany, but you still need to bring the same forms with you when you apply. Contact the Office of Alien Affairs (Ausländerbehörde).

  • A secondary school leaving certificate recognized by the Federal Republic of Germany
  • Identification Documents (Passport or equivalent)
  • Proof that you have health insurance (link health insurance)
  • Proof that you can support yourself financially. This means that you have to have around -12,000 per year of personal funds. If you are a dependant, it is a good idea to bring a letter from the person who is sponsoring you, stipulating the amount of money they are prepared to give you per year, and a tax receipt that proves that they have the means to provide the amount.
  • Confirmation of application, an official letter of acceptance from the university, an official letter stating that your presence is required at a German University to complete admissions requirements (like the DSH), or registration at a recognized German language school for intensive language studies

    If you are applying from Berlin, you also need to bring the certificate that proves you have registered your place of residence with your district police (Meldebestätigung).

    If you are applying from your home country, you will need to register your place of residence with the police as soon as you get into the country. You will then have to take the certificate they give you (Meldebestätigung) to the Office of Alien Affairs (address above).

    If you are applying for a visa or a residence permit from Berlin, the FU and the Humboldt University have both recently started visa service programs to guide you through all the paperwork. They will help you fill out your application and submit it correctly. In addition, they provide special bilingual forms and information sheets in English, Spanish and Italian. The people who work there can also speak both German and English. If you submit your application through the visa service, the process takes three weeks, but it´s worth it if you also have questions about meeting other students, working and sports facilities. The people in the office are there to inform you about these subjects and anything else you might need to know. The service is open every Wednesday during the semester breaks.

  • top of page anything missing, anything wrong?